To access the University's wired network, your computer must be connected to an active network jack and be registered through the Network Registration process. If you move a previously registered computer to a new location or the computer has not been active on the network for more than 6 months, you may be prompted to register the computer again when you attempt to access the internet.
Only employees with Faculty/Staff status can log in to NetReg. Students can not register devices on the network.
If you have any problem registering a computer in NetReg or need assistance with the process, please contact your Technology Coordinator.
- When your computer is connected in a location where it needs to be registered, open a web browser and the NetReg page will appear.
- If this does not happen automatically, go to https://netreg.albany.edu
- Click the Enter button
- Log in using your NetID and password
- Read the information on the Quick Network Registration form and click Continue.
- If the device is already registered, you will have or a list of devices registered to you
- Enter the following information on the "Machine Registration - Register a New Machine" form
- Subnet: Choose the area in which the device is connected
- Hostname: Enter the computer's name
- Find Windows computer name...
Depending on the exact version of Windows that you have, do one of the following:
- Open your Start menu, open Settings, select System, and select About on the lower left
- Open your Start menu and search for "Control Panel", open Control Panel, and select System
- On your keyboard, press the Windows key + Pause/Break
This will open the System window to view basic information about your computer, including the Device Name, which is what you need for the Hostname field
- Find Mac computer name...
Follow these steps:
- On your Mac, open the Apple menu > System Preferences
- Click Sharing
- The computer name for your Mac appears at the top of Sharing preferences
- Mode: If you need to always have the same IP address, select static; if that does not matter, select dynamic
- Hardware Address: Leave the value that is in there
- If you are registering another device, you can find its hardware/MAC address
- Affiliation: Choose your department or support entity from the menu
- When finished entering information, click the Continue button
- A screen stating that the machine was added to the network should show with a list of all machines registered to the name.
- Close the browser window and wait for 5 minutes
- NetReg runs in 5 minute cycles, so network access is not immediate
- You may need to restart the device before it is granted a valid IP address and a connection to the network
Need more help? Contact the ITS Service Desk.