Follow these steps to Install Microsoft 365 apps (M365) on a Mac with macOS Mojave (10.14) or newer version of macOS.
Microsoft 365 will run on the newest and previous two versions of macOS. If your Mac is running macOS High Sierra 10.13 or earlier, you will need to upgrade to 10.14 or newer in order to install M365.
- Make sure that you save all work and all Office applications are closed.
- Download and run the Office License Removal Tool. This is necessary to remove any previous Office licenses you have so that your M365 license can function properly.
- Once you have downloaded the License Removal Tool, run it:
- Click Continue:
- Click on Agree to confirm that you agree with the terms of the software license agreement:
- Click on Install:
- You may need to enter your username password to continue with the install. Once you enter appropriate credentials, click Install Software.
- Once the install completes, you will get a confirmation screen. Click on Close.
- You are now almost ready to install the M365 app. Before you go any further, we recommend that you uninstall all previous versions of Office. Open up your Finder and go to Applications. Select all Microsoft Office files (Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft PowerPoint, Microsoft Access, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Teams, etc.):
- Drag the selected files to the trash can or right-click with your mouse and select Move to Trash:
- You are now ready to download the M365 apps install file. Here is the link to the install: https://portal.office.com/account. You will be asked to enter your UAlbany email address. Once entered, click Next.
- Enter your NetID and password and click Sign In:
- Complete the 2-Step process with Duo.
- You will be taken to your My account screen. Click on the Install Office, which will download the M365 install package.
- Once the download process has finished it should automatically open the "Welcome" install screen. If it doesn’t automatically open, you will need run it from your download folder (accessible using Finder). From this screen click Continue.
- The welcome screen will appear. Click Continue.
- Click Continue to agree with the License Agreement.
- Click Agree to confirm.
- The standard install of M365 will require 9.69 GB. Click on the Install to continue.
- Depending on your Mac OS security settings, it may ask you for a username/password with administrator rights to continue with the install. Enter the appropriate credentials and click Install Software.
- The install process will start.
- You will get a confirmation screen indicating that software install was successfully completed. Click on Close.
- If there are any updates that need to be applied, a screen will immediately appear and will check for M365 Office updates. Click on the blue Check for Updates button:
- To the right of the blue Check for Updates button, you can click on the arrowhead pointing down to see if updates are being applied. If updates are current, you will see the message All apps are up-to-date to the left of the update button.
- M365 is now installed! Before you can start using any M365 Office application, you will need to activate your copy.
Need more help? Contact the ITS Service Desk.