(Information Technology Services, Identity and Access Management Contact Responsibilities)
The role of the ITS IAM Contact is to act as the point of contact for all users within the Department (faculty, staff, and student employees) for all ITS account and network resource related questions and requests. The ITS IAM Contact is an active faculty/staff member who is officially employed by the department they represent.
Some Colleges, Schools, and Departments may have their own IT support group that host their own services and resources. Please refer to your local IT support group for those not hosted by ITS.
The sole designee(s) for their department to request and approve new network resources from ITS.
- Acting as the point of contact by ITS and by members within their department(s) regarding updates to network resources owned by their department.
Being listed as additional owners for ITS network resources (to be able to maintain memberships for their department and to request owner changes).
- As of 3/2019 new IAM Contacts are no longer added to all departmental resources. This is to strengthen the security of your departments network resources.
Monitoring email from their departmental ITS Access Notice Mailbox (where notices of employees in their department identified by Human Resources as being terminated, transferred, or having a role change).
Account requests handled by ITS IAM Contacts
The processing time for new requests is up to 5 business days.
Creation or Removal of Accounts and Network Resources
New account requests must be submitted to ITS by the ITS IAM Contact. The IAM Contact will be notified for approval for requests made by others from within their department.
Specific types of Resource forms are listed below:
- UAlbany Mail Departmental Accounts
- UNIX Services: Web Accounts, Guest Wiki Access, Unix File Space
- Shared Folders
- Room Calendar Access
- Distribution Groups
- Office 365 Groups
Updates to Existing Accounts
The addition and removal of group membership can be accomplished with the Group Access Manager by Account's owner(s) for ITS resources. For updating resources not found in Group Access Manager, please contact your Technology Coordinator. Please be aware that you must use the University's VPN service to access the Group Access Manager off-campus.
To update the ownership of an account or departmental resource, please submit a Group Owner Maintenance Request Form.
Documentation for how to use the Group Access Manager is available in the askIT wiki.
The ITS Identity and Access Management Group sends daily notifications (Monday - Friday) via email from (ITS Access Information - firstname.lastname@example.org) to each designated department(s) 'ITS Access Notice' UAlbany mail account (i.e. 00000-ITSAccessNotice@albany.edu) if there are employees in your department identified by Human Resources as being terminated, transferred or having a role change.
- If an employee is being rehired by your department, their employment record must be updated in Human Resources within 30 days in order to maintain their computing accounts. Accounts that end up being terminated lose access to all group memberships, including any IAS PeopleSoft permissions.
- To find a listing of IAM Contacts by department/associated department number please see Departmental Contacts for Identity and Access Management and Administrative & Business Services (IAM and ABS Contacts)
- For more detailed information regarding the termination/deprovisioning process please see IAM, ABS and HR De-Provisioning FAQ
When an employee is terminated and their account access is removed, their personal network files are no longer available. ITS strongly recommends that all files which need to be accessed by more than one person, or contain data needed by the department, should be stored in a departmental share rather than an individual’s personal share.
IAM Contact Tips
- The ‘NetID’ is required for all account modification requests.
- An applicant must already have been added to the IAS system by Human Resources before any additions to computing account access can be processed. When an employee record has been entered in Human Resources, an AlbanyID is assigned, and a NetID and PIN are generated. This information is needed for processing any changes to the account.
- 'Volunteer’ accounts:
- Occasionally an account is required for someone who is not an employee. A record for this population can still be entered in Human Resources with a status of ‘volunteer’ (contact Human Resources for details).
- Process to expedite adding an employee record in HR:
- Occasionally, departments find it desirable to provide new employees with IT/system access prior to their official start date. In such cases, the department has all of the basic information about the new employee but the appointment packet may not have made it through all regular channels. HR and Sponsored Funds will accept an abbreviated HRM-2 or RF Employee Appointment form, provided it is signed by the Department Head/Principal Investigator and accompanied by a cover page indicating that it is solely for the purpose of generating the AlbanyID, NetID & PIN.
- The policy and procedure is described in the online document 'New Employee Access to Online Services’
Note: Payroll and Human Resources currently maintain two separate information pools. Receiving a paycheck does not guarantee that an employee record is up-to-date in Human Resources.
- Checking the Status of an Account Request
- A ticket is created shortly after any account request is received. To inquire about the status of a request, you can call the ITS Service Desk at (518) 442-3700. The processing time for a new accounts request is 5 business days.
Automatically Created/User Activated IT Accounts
The following accounts and services are created for the new employee or student and are activated by the account holder. These are not managed by the IAM Contacts and need not be requested as they are automatically created based upon the criteria indicated below.
Students - The following accounts are created when an undergraduate student is admitted and deposited. Accounts are automatically created for graduate students upon confirmed acceptance:
- Active Directory (Windows Network Access)
- UAlbany Mail and One Drive for Business space
- UNIX file storage/personal web space
Faculty/Staff - The following accounts are created when an employee record has been added to the Human Resources system:
Active Directory (Windows Network Access)
UAlbany Mail and OneDrive for Business space
UNIX and Windows file storage/personal web space
Need more help? Submit an ITS Service Desk Request.