When you get a new Android phone, you need to move your Duo Mobile account from your old phone to your new phone. To make the Duo account transfer as smooth as possible, you must back up your Duo account information to the Google Drive associated with the Google account used on your Android phone.
Use the instructions below to set up Instant Restore to simplify moving your Duo Mobile settings when you get your new phone. You need to set up Duo Instant Restore before you get your new iPhone.
Note: You must have your old and new phones in order when you use Instant Restore.
To transfer none Duo mobile 2fA accounts to your new device, visit Duo Restore for Android on the Duo Mobile support site.
Note: You must be running Duo Mobile version 3.32.0 or newer to setup Instant Restore.
Perform these steps to back up your Duo Mobile account to your Google Drive account:
- Open Duo Mobile and tap the menu icon in the top right to open Settings.
- Tap Duo Restore in the "General" settings.
- On the "Duo Restore Settings" screen, tap to enable the Backup accounts with Google Drive.
- Select the Google account to use for Duo Restore and grant Duo Mobile permission to store the backup in your Google Drive.
- At this point, you can also choose to enable account recovery for your third-party accounts by tapping Automatically reconnect third-party accounts. If you don't enable this now, Duo Mobile will remind you later when you add your first third-party account.
- When prompted, enter and confirm a recovery password that has 10-128 characters. Do not lose this password! You'll need to provide it again to recover these accounts. Duo cannot recover this password for you. Be sure to store it securely. If you lose this password you'll need to manually reconnect your third-party accounts after restoring Duo Mobile on a new phone by visiting each of those services individually and following their 2FA setup process.
You cannot use Instant Restore to transfer a Duo account from an Android phone to an iPhone and vice-versa.
Need more help? Contact the ITS Service Desk.