The Temporary Internet Files (or cache) folder contains web page content that is stored on the computer's hard disk to facilitate quicker viewing of pages. This cache permits the browser to download only the content that has changed since the web page was last viewed, instead of downloading all content each time the page is displayed. Periodically, you should delete the files in the Temporary Internet Files folder.
NOTE: We recommend that you clear the browser's cache and, when the process completes, close any open windows, quit/exit the browser and then relaunch the browser.
In most browsers (not Safari, though), the keyboard shortcuts below may open the dialog box needed, saving some steps:
- Windows: Ctrl + Shift + Delete
- MacOS: Command + Shift + Delete
For Windows 8/8.1, you will need to launch Internet Explorer in Desktop Mode. In Windows 8 mode, click the "Page Tools" icon (wrench) and select "View on the desktop."
- Select Tools > Internet Options.
- Select Delete... under Browsing History on the General tab.
- On Delete Browsing History window, uncheck Preserve Favorites website data
Note: Unchecking Preserve Favorites Website Data will allow the Cookies to be removed for Favorites too; it will not remove your Favorites.
- Check the box for Temporary Internet Files. The remaining items can be left unchecked.
- Select Delete.
- Select Firefox menu > Options
- Go to the Privacy & Security tab and click Clear History in the History section
- Select Everything from "Time range to clear" drop-down menu
- Check the box for Cache
- Select the Clear Now button
- Select Safari menu > Clear History and Website Data
- Select All history from the Clear drop-down menu
- Select Clear History
This will clear all cache, cookies, and history from Safari.
- Select Chrome menu > More Tools > Clear Browsing Data
- Select "All time" from the "Time range" drop-down menu
- Check the box for "Cached images and files"
- Select "Clear data"
- Select Settings and More (... menu) > Settings
- Select "Choose what to clear" under "Clear browsing data"
- Check the box for "Cached data and files"
- Select Clear