ITS provides file storage solutions for the University that are appropriate for storing your work-related data and files. When working from home on either personal or University-owned devices, no University data or files should be stored on your device's local drive or any external hard drive connected to your computer.
Working with individual work-related files
- UAlbany faculty, staff and students each have 1TB of storage in OneDrive for Business as part of Microsoft 365.
- OneDrive for Business is a personal document library intended for storing and organizing your documents and other files.
- You can access your OneDrive for Business files from anywhere, including a web browser or a mobile device, and directly from Microsoft 365 apps like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
You can choose to share files with others within and outside the University.
- UAlbany faculty and staff have a U: Drive Home Folder with 5GB of storage. This quota can be increased by request up to 25GB.
- It is file storage space for each individual to store files that do not need to be accessed by others.
To access your U: Drive from off-campus, you must be signed into the University's VPN. See File Storage - Mapping Network Drives for information on how to connect to your U: Drive.
- UAlbany faculty, staff and students are licensed for Microsoft 365 Apps for enterprise (formerly called "Office 365 ProPlus") at no charge.
- You may install Microsoft Office on up to 15 personal devices, including computers, tablets, and smartphones.
- Microsoft 365 apps like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint can open, edit, and save your files directly from your OneDrive for Business space, Microsoft Teams, or other Office 365 locations.
- You can use the Online Office Apps like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint in any web browser without installing Office on your computer.
Working with group work-related files
- UAlbany faculty, staff and students can use Microsoft Teams to share files, edit and collaborate on documents, take notes, host & join virtual meetings, and chat with individuals or groups from any device.
UAlbany faculty, staff and students can create a Team in Microsoft Teams that provides 1TB of storage for files for your team.
- Each division of the University has a large divisional file space which has a quota that is applied to its entire divisional space. All departmental folders in that space share that quota.
- It is a collection of shared departmental folders. When a member of a particular division looks at their divisional space they will only see the departmental folders for which they have been granted access. So, the view may be different from one person to the next.
- For members of each division, this file space is typically mapped as their V: drive on a University computer running Windows.
To access your V: Drive from off-campus, you must be signed into the University's VPN. See File Storage - Mapping Network Drives for information on how to connect to your V: Drive.
For more information on the University's File Storage and Sharing options, visit File Storage and Sharing.
Need more help? Submit an ITS Service Desk Request.