What Is Changing?
UAlbany is decommissioning basic authentication to Office 365 (UAlbany Mail) on August 4, 2020. Microsoft has long used this to enable email authentication, but is moving to modern authentication.
Please check to ensure you are using the most recent version of Microsoft Outlook/Office for your computer and the Microsoft Outlook mobile app for your mobile devices. See below for instructions.
What does Basic Authentication look like?
|Basic Authentication Example||Modern Authentication Example|
When you log in, you provide your email address and password directly to the application:
When you log in, you are sent to the familiar UAlbany login page to provide your credentials:
What will be the impact of this change?
- Non-Outlook Email Applications: Any email application using POP, IMAP, or basic authentication with Exchange Web Services (EWS) or Exchange ActiveSync (EAS) will no longer work after 8/4/2020. We recommend moving to Microsoft Outlook for your computer and installing the Microsoft Outlook app for your mobile devices.
- UAlbany email accounts linked to non-UAlbany email services: The linking of your UAlbany Mail email account to Gmail, Yahoo!, or Hotmail (for example, so you can see all your messages in one inbox), will no longer function after 8/4/2020. We recommend moving to Microsoft Outlook or Outlook on the web.
- Old versions of Microsoft Office: Versions of Microsoft Office earlier than 2016 (including 2013, 2011, 2010, 2007, etc.) will no longer be able to connect to Office 365 after 8/4/2020.
How do I know how I am affected?
You may have received an email from ITS if you used basic authentication in February or March 2020. The email will tell you how you are affected and what you need to do to address it. Click thumbnails below to view sample emails from ITS:
What do I need to do on a Windows or Mac computer?
Check that you are using the updated version of Microsoft Outlook for your computer and the Microsoft Outlook mobile app for your mobile devices.
|Outlook Version Installed||Action Required|
Outlook 2016, 2019, or 365 for Windows or macOS
If your account is connected using modern authentication, you're all set! If you are not sure, you can create a new Outlook profile with Modern Authentication.
If your account is connected using basic authentication, create a new Outlook profile with Modern Authentication.
|Any version earlier than 2016|
Non University-Owned Computers: Install and use the latest version of Office 365 by following these instructions: Install Office 365 (PC and Mac)
What do I need to do on a mobile device?
We recommend that you use the Microsoft Outlook mobile app on your mobile device(s) to access your UAlbany Mail email and calendar and remove your UAlbany mail account from your device's native (built-in) mail client. The Microsoft Outlook mobile app will be the only mail and calendar mobile application fully supported by ITS. Depending on the version, the native mail and calendar clients on your mobile device may not work with modern authentication (e.g., the “Mail” app on your iPhone).
To get the Microsoft Outlook mobile app, please follow this link from your mobile device:
Which email clients are capable of modern authentication in Office 365?
The following clients are capable of authenticating to Office 365 Exchange Online with modern authentication. Generally, it is recommended to be on the latest version of each client and operating system.
- Outlook on the web (formerly called Outlook Web App or OWA)
- Outlook for Windows (Windows 10; Outlook 2016 and later)
- Outlook for Mac (macOS 10.14 Mojave and later; Outlook 2016 and later)
- Outlook App for Android (Android Lollipop 5.0 and later)
- Outlook App for iOS (iOS 12.x and later for iPhones and iPads)
- Mail app on iOS (iOS 11.x and later for iPhones and iPads)
- Mail app on Mac OS (macOS 10.14 Mojave and later)
- Gmail app on Android (Android 10.0 and later)
Need more help? Submit an ITS Service Desk Request.