If a Windows computer is being replaced or repaired, maintaining backups of vital data and information is important. ITS provides file storage solutions for the University that are appropriate for storing your work-related data and files.
Long-Term Storage Option
- Look in "Desktop", "Documents", “Pictures”, “Videos”, and “Music” for files to back up
- Expand Windows Explorer “This PC” to see if there are any user-created folders that you need to back up
Temporary Storage Option Needed
- Back up “Favorites” from the browser(s) you use - export to a .html file
- Back up any files stored in an application folder (such as an address book) that supports the app
- If you have an email signature saved with special formatting and don’t want to re-create it, you can back it up from C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Signatures
- Back up any email .pst files with email archives
No Storage Option Needed
- Take an inventory of the software that you use (check “Programs” for a list)
- Take note of any network shares that need to be mapped
- Take note of any app clients you have such as Dropbox, OneDrive, Skype, etc.
- Take note of any departmental/shared mailboxes you access in Outlook besides your own
- Take note of any departmental/shared calendars you access in Outlook besides your own
- Take note of any peripherals such as printer, copier, or scanner, etc. that connect to your PC either directly or via the network
Need more help? Submit an ITS Service Desk Request.