Instructions (Windows or Mac)
If you are working remotely (outside the University network), you will first need to use the VPN to connect to the University network. Once connected with the VPN, follow the instructions below.
- Install an SFTP client (such as WinSCP or CyberDuck).
- Run the SFTP application.
- Use the following settings, when prompted:
- File protocol: SFTP
- Host name: storage.albany.edu
Username: Your UAlbany NetID
Enter your NetID in lowercase.
- Password: Your UAlbany password
- Port number: 22
- You can then transfer files between your S: Drive and your local computer.
Be careful not to delete your "dot files" (files whose names begin with a "." - for example, .cshrc, .login, etc.). These files are important for the proper functioning of your UNIX account. (These files are hidden by default on most Windows systems, but visible within the UNIX system.)