Different issues can restrict patrons from library services and borrowing library materials. Such issues can include blocks, holds, and restrictions, the most common of which are:
- expired patron accounts (often community borrowers)
- exceeding loan limits of books
- invalid addresses
- If an item is a reference or periodical
- If an item has a time limit, such as a reserve or a laptop
- If an item is on hold for another patron
Depending on the circumstance, issues can be temporarily overridden. Always ask a supervisor about how to handle an issue if you are unsure.
For Example: with written permission from a Reference Librarian, reference books can be checked out.
How to Resolve Common Issues
The most common barriers to barrowing are only removed when the condition that caused the issue is resolved. Below we will discuss what the common warnings mean, and options to resolve the conflict.