This tutorial will show you how to use Inkscape to engrave a picture using the Glowforge Laser cutter.
To follow along with this tutorial you will need to have Inkscape installed. Inkscape is a free software available on Windows, Mac, and Linux.
Please download and install it from this webpage: https://inkscape.org/release/inkscape-1.0/ It is also highly recommended to use this template from Glowforge that puts the detentions of our laser cutter onto the canvas: https://community.glowforge.com/t/inkscape-template/12166
To cut your project out, you will need to have an account on our Glowforge and have gone through a safety tutorial.
Thought the Step-by-step guide, I will refer to this picture:
These steps refer to the picture above:
- Open Inkscape and make new from template. Now click File → Import and then find your image that you wish to engrave and hit okay
Once imported, Move and center the image/s using the arrows at its sides and corners
Hold control when resizing at a corner to preserve dimensions.
- Now choose the “Create rectangles and squares” tool from the left side.
- Click and drag to create a box around your image.
- Now right click and select “Fill and Stroke...”
- In the toolbox that has just opened up on the right side, under fill select the , and under stroke select .
- Under Stroke style, select the desired settings.
Make sure the color is set to one that is not used elsewhere, like pink, to ensure that Glowforge recognizes the line that you want it to cut along.
- Now that we can see the outline of our rectangle/square, resize it to be just larger than your image.
If you want your cutout to have rounded edges, grab the circle in the top left corner of your square and drag to make the appropriate curve.
- Now click File → Save As and name your file and save it as an Inkscape SVG
- Then go to https://app.glowforge.com/ and upload your svg
- Once loaded, Ensure that your image is set to engrave and your border is set to cut.
- Now Print and Enjoy!